XXI-XXIII



Bruce Conner, Arachne, 1959.

XXI.

I have a little leather book of prayer
with colored ribbons trailing down the spine.
I take it in my satchel everywhere;
though many may be like it, this is mine.

It takes me through the whole of holy Writ
in two years’ time, if I can keep the pace.
Of course, one must be willing to commit
to Matins and to Vespers anyplace.

The Psalter cycles ev’ry thirty days
with collects for the dawn and for the dusk.
Though life provides distractions and delays
persistent perseverance is a must.

The Liturgy of Hours as a whole
proves a balm and sabbath for the soul.


XXII.

The Minnesota wild is my home,
such vistas as would snatch your breath away.
With dogs and kids in tow we gladly roam
through woods and town and field most ev’ry day.

Our house is fit to bursting with our books,
all double-shelved and stacked haphazardly.
A library is how it really looks,
unnumbered portals to infinity.

If I had all the money ever made
what treasures could I buy worth more than these?
As hobbies, books and walking might seem staid
yet kings have killed to have such means of ease.

My income may not be that much to tell
but living as we do is living well.


XXIII.

Arachnids were the first to crawl on land
and when the insects grew their gauzy wings
the spiders spun their silk across a span
and learned to catch all kinds of juicy things.

Whenever I see spiders here indoors,
I bid them give Arachne all my best.
My private little anti-insect corps:
I wish them happy hunting, peaceful rest.

Be sure, I do remind them, not to bite
my children, lest I sweep you lot away.
But come now, we as allies mustn’t fight.
Our uninvited guests shall be your prey.

This symbiosis furthers both our ends.
How pleasant that humanity has friends.

Comments