L-LIII


 

L.

A Cabinet of Curiosities
is how to best describe my office space;
with helmets, swords, a Spear of Destiny,
and shelves and stacks of books about the place.

A metal dancing Shiva; plastic Thor;
an oil vial from St Nick’s own bones;
a replica LeMat with double bore;
an ancient ostracon; Israeli stone.

A German räuchermann; a Viking ship;
a death whistle produced from Aztec tombs;
a Bowie knife with polished wooden grip;
and eastern icons strewn around the room.

Should someone ask what any of these do,
they each contain a story deep and true.


LI.

A Halloween fiesta at the farm
with decorations hanging from the trees.
The children run about in false alarm
while parents wearing costumes drink carefree.

A fire pit with many chairs around,
a ring of light within a blackened field;
a speaker playing haunted songs and sounds,
to which I tap the pitchfork that I wield.

Garage is full of family and food.
The birthday boys have vodka with their cakes.
We bid an early ev’ning fond adieu
for we have Sunday worship when we wake.

My mood is dark and brooding as the sea
yet this will make a happy memory.


LII.

I found upon his desk quartet of skulls
cut off before they reached the upper jaw.
He probes their clefts and ridges as he mulls
each delicate detail that we saw.

These four would be his patients of the day,
a CAT scan mapping ev’ry attribute;
then 3-D printed—Tout de suite! Allé!
delivered for his scrutiny acute.

Four surgeries are prepping on the screen
suspended in the corner of the room.
At fifty storeys up it’s quite a scene:
his window over Central Park in bloom.

I’m not a very interesting guy
but I have friends in places that are high.


LIII.

Our youngest is excited for tonight.
Our middle girl will trick-or-treat with friends.
Our eldest and his buddies catch a bite.
My wife at home our candy bars expends.

How many Halloweens do I have left
to walk the neighborhood with my last child?
Her costume and enthusiasm wrest
a trove of treats from grandparents beguiled.

At work we’re planning Christmas soon to come;
I near forget October’s with us still.
But for our daughter this night is the one
and her delight and love all through me thrill.

I’ll savor fleeting moments bittersweet
until that day when grandkids trick-or-treat.


Comments