Friends in High Places


Children’s Sermon
27 September 2026

Good morning, guys. Can you believe that September’s almost over? I feel like it just got here. But I already see stuff in stores for Halloween, and Thanksgiving, and even Christmas. Have you? Yeah. The holidays will be here before we know it.

But before all of that, here at the end of September, the Church wants us to remember something important. She wants us to remember the angels.

What do you think of when you hear the word “angels”? What do they look like? What do they do? What is an angel for?

You know, every week, I have to write. I write all sorts of things: homilies, pastor’s epistles, children’s sermons, Pub Theology presentations, Confirmation classes. Writing is at least half of what I do. And there is a process to it, isn’t there?

Do any of you like to write? What about other creative activities? Do you like to draw, or to play music, or to build things with your hands, stuff like that? People love to make things.

Before I can start to write something, I have to have an idea of what I want to say, a direction or a guiding light. And then, when I start to write, it might not turn out like my original idea. The idea affects what I create, and what I create affects the idea.

They go together, you see: the idea of the thing that we’re making, and then the thing itself. It’s a little bit like a dance.

And that’s how God creates things too. He has all of these ideas, and then He makes them real. But the reality, and the ideas, they have a life of their own, don’t they? Creation is a living thing.

This is how I imagine the relationship between angels and our world. The angels are God’s ideas, while you and I and everything else—clouds and stars and dogs and trees and rivers and rocks—we are those ideas made real. I mean, the ideas are real too, but in a different way.

Angels are kind of like our big brothers and big sisters in Creation. They’re the ideal versions of us, and we’re the realized versions of them. We need each other. And we love each other. Because all of us together are children of God.

Make sense? Maybe not? That’s okay. We don’t have to understand wonderful things in order for them to be wonderful. Heck, the wonder is the point. Just know that we are not alone in this universe, that we are surrounded by beautiful spirits, and that we have friends in high places.

Sound good? Okay. Let’s pray.




I have a special devotion to St Michael; I spoke to him once in a dream. And for those at home keeping score, yes, this is Bulgakov's angelology.

Comments